Thursday, December 29, 2011

iOS Nastolgia

Apparently, in an effort to make money off all the kids (and adults) getting new Apple mobile devices, people have finally gotten on the bandwagon of re-releasing classic games onto iOS. I've been crossing my fingers for Final Fantasy 6 for about two years now, but still no luck there. However, we've been graced with some awesome stuff lately. Including:

I wanted to put two or three exclamation points after each one of those, but that just wouldn't do. I'm so excited about all of those. I've resisted buying all of them, but I did fall prey to the overpriced FFT as well as Chrono Trigger and Sonic. I've always had a thing for Sonic the Hedgehog and I never played CD, so that had to happen. I played through GTA 3 when it came out and I'm not in high school anymore, so I think I'm a bit past killing cops for fun.  I didn't get Mega Man X because I distinctly remember having to press a direction button, jump, dash, and shoot all at once. That was pretty tricky on the SNES controller; it's got to be impossible on an iPod screen. 
I still can't consistently hit a specific target,
but I'm having a great time doing it!

Which brings me to a point about iOS ports. As exciting as these games are, they were tuned for whatever control scheme they were initially released on, and don't always lend themselves well to iPods. Final Fantasy Tactics is particularly hard to manage sometimes. In fact, it's made me want to play it less and less. Chrono Trigger has been really hard to get used to as well, I'm still running into walls on accident and can almost never attack a specific enemy consistently. Anyway, if anyone at Square reads this, they should think about implementing an alternative form on control. That'd be awesome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment