Thursday, January 9, 2014

Bored At Work 1.9.14

Hello internet, how are you?

I'm doing well. As the title indicates, I'm at work and I'm bored. I work at a great little company called inthinc. Shortly put, we produce vehicle tracking devices that are used by companies with large fleets of vehicles. I work in Tech Support, which is definitely the bottom of the barrel, but it's a great gig for someone who hasn't finished (or has no interest in) a college degree. I have very high performance overall at work, if I say so myself, and sometimes (like today) I finish up all my work early and don't have anything left to do for the rest of the day except wait for phone calls.

It is during this waiting time that I struggle. Playing on the internet is discouraged and there is quite a bit of traffic by my desk, so I try to be discrete or to find new projects. I've decided that blogging will be a better use of time than Facebook or taunting people in the Tech Support group on Skype. Most of the posts on here will still be the same kuality jernilizm you have come to expect on this site. But if I'm not in the mood to work on those, I'll just write up a more personal post. Like this one! I know I have a personal blog...but I'd rather keep it all in one place.

Anyway, It's January. The time of the year when people try to get their ducks in a row. As for me, I'm trying to get school and career things more in order. I'm doing really well at work and I keep my eye out for new positions here but nothing has panned out yet. I would totally go to another company for more money, but nothing tempting has come up for that either ;).

This past Fall, I was informed that I was on academic suspension for the next year so I can't take any classes. Blerg. My GPA was too low after taking three classes.... Kind of pathetic. I did very poorly on my first course at the end of 2012 because I started my new job and life stuff. Apparently my next two courses were not enough to pull me back up, so now I have to wait. I know there are several classes I can get credit for by just testing out of them. I'm trying to get in contact with my adviser to see if I can do that while I'm suspended or what, but I haven't heard anything back yet.

Also, I want someone to pay me for being involved with video games. Playing games, making games, writing about games...any of those would be nice. The writing part can be improved by this blog. The making part is harder, because I need to get better at programming and school problems make that hard. I know I could just do it on my own, but it's hard to keep up on without deadlines. The playing part would mean streaming, which is a lot of fun, but my laptop struggles with it. Last night I wiped out the hard drive and we'll see if that helps it at all. I think it will, but we'll see how it goes. I do think I'll be able to get up to a pretty high level of competition in Hearthstone, which should get me some viewers, especially once it is officially released. I'll depend on all of you to watch my stream and tell your friends about it! Or, at the very least, open up the stream and mute it and leave it running the background somewhere so I get a viewer boost :P.


2 comments:

  1. Wait, do you have a twitch channel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! There's at least two links to it on this site :P

      Delete